- History and Culture
Mr. Jackaria Ahmed sold the Sugar Estate in 1910 to a newly formed company: La Compagnie Sucrière de Bel Ombre. The latter was formed by Emile Sauzier, Eugène de Rosnay, A. James Wilson, Edouard Rouillard, Oscar Pilot, Robert Pitot and Georges Antelme. The same year, the Beau Champ and Sainte Marie estates were purchased, bringing the surface area of land under ownership to 5842 acres. Further expanding the estate’s lands, Frederica with its 621 acres and Bon Courage bringing an additional 342 acres were acquired in 1914 and 1934, respectively. Finally, Chamarel and Case Noyale were acquired in 1951, bringing the total surface area of the estate to 12,200 acres. This significant expansion over the first half of the 20th century made Bel Ombre the largest estate on the island, with a mix of forests, hunting grounds and husbandry in addition to its 5040 acres under sugar cultivation.